Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Vegetable Au Gratin



Continental cuisine has always been my got-to choice when eating out. The creamy sauces, herbs, cheese and spices make these dishes flavourful and enticingly appetizing. There are so many dishes that I have eaten and loved. But for some reason have been putting away recreating them at home. I always had this inhibition that these fancy dishes may be too hard to replicate at home. Au Gratin has been on my to-do list for ever! 

Au Gratin is basically a French method of cooking something with a topping of crusty cheese or breadcrumbs. The base could be vegetables or meat. 

The ingredients are mildly cooked and mixed in a creamy white sauce and then baked with a topping of cheese. The cheese melts and turns a beautiful golden brown and voila, your Au Gratin is ready to be devoured! :) 

The beautiful medley of vegetables, creamy sauce and cheese is my kind of Yum! Mild flavoured vegetables such as carrots, peas and potatoes are the most preferred while making an Au Gratin. 




So a few days back, after a super exhausting previous day, I needed something to cheer me up! And nothing cheers me up better than cooking good food and of course enjoying it! I just chose Au Gratin as my dish of the day. I had a basic recipe for gratin which I tweaked a bit and began gathering the ingredients. While the baby napped, I was able to put together this dish and also enjoy my fancy meal-for-one at peace! 

Now, that totally cheered this Mumma up! :)

I was blown away by the ease of the recipe and decided to definitely blog it. This dish is a keeper and I am so glad I tried this. Now, to try more variations of gratin recipes! Stay tuned :)


Treat yourself to this delicious creamy dish. If its your first time, you will love it! And if you are a gratin lover like me, you know what am talking about!! :) 

If you would like more flavour in your sauce, you can also add in some tomato ketchup to spike it up. And if you like some crunch, you can add in some bread crumbs as well along with the cheese toppings.

To complete the fancy meal, pair the Au Gratin with some Garlic Bread. They are a match made in food heaven! Enjoy! :)





Serves : 1
Time: 40 mins

Ingredients

Vegetables (assorted of choice) - 2 cups, chopped
I used Baby Corn, Carrots, Peas, Potatoes, Broccoli and Mushrooms)

For the White Sauce
Butter - 1 heaped tsp
Flour | Maida - 1 heaped tsp
Milk - 3/4 cup
Pepper and Salt - to taste
Cheese - 1 tbsp
Herbs Powder | Seasoning - a sprinkle

For the topping
Cheese - 1-2 tbsp





Method




  • Chop the vegetables into tiny cubes (or pieces). Add half cup water and pressure cook for a single whistle.
  • In a heavy bottomed pan, add the butter and allow it to melt.
  • On a low flame, add the flour and whisk for a minute till the flour is incorporated with the butter. Do not let it burn.
  • Take the pan off the flame and add in the milk. Whisk well until the flour mixture has no lumps. Place back on stove and stir continuously until the sauce thickens.
  • Add the boiled veggies along with the water. Add salt, pepper and the herb seasoning. Mix well.
  • Cook on low flame until the water evaporates and the sauce thickens coating the vegetables.
  • Turn off the flame, add in the cheese and mix well.
  • Now transfer the contents into a baking dish.
  • Top it off with the remaining cheese.
  • Bake at 200 C for 25 minutes or until the crust turns a golden brown.
  • Serve! :)






Serve it with a few slices of Garlic Bread or simply enjoy it as is! It is yummilicious either ways! :)




No comments:

Post a Comment